Eduardo Hariton, MD, MBA
Reproductive Endocrinologist (REI)
Dr. Hariton will begin seeing patients in the fall of 2022
Dr. Eduardo Hariton received his medical degree from Harvard Medical School in Boston and completed his residency in obstetrics and gynecology at Brigham and Women’s Hospital and Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston. He completed his fellowship in reproductive endocrinology & infertility at the University of California San Francisco. He also obtained a master’s in business administration from Harvard Business School.
Dr. Hariton has earned many honors and awards throughout his educational career, including a seminal contribution for Fertility and Sterility for his thesis research using artificial intelligence in IVF. He served on multiple clinical leadership committees during his residency and fellowship, with a focus on clinical quality improvement and diversity and inclusion. He has authored more than 70 high impact research publications, abstracts and presentations. He is a member of the American College of Obstetrics & Gynecology, the American Society for Reproductive Medicine and the Pacific Coast Reproductive Society.
His special interests include the use of innovative technology such as artificial intelligence to improve IVF outcomes. As medicine is ever evolving, Dr. Hariton knows the importance of staying current and offering the most innovative, evidenced-based treatments. Additional areas of focus include polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS), recurrent pregnancy loss, egg freezing, diminished ovarian reserve and uterine fibroids.
Dr. Hariton’s approach to treatment starts with educating his patients about infertility, including the newest technologies and latest research. He understands that there is no one-size-fits-all treatment model and listens to his patients to provide a personalized approach to care.
He loves developing relationships with his patients, getting to know them as human beings and trying to understand who they are as people before they became patients. This gives him a much deeper understanding of what they are going through so he can better guide them in their fertility journey.
His patients value his ability to explain complex concepts, the full range of options for them, and his advice on what he thinks would be best for them and why. This approach allows patients to make an educated choice while feeling supported by him whatever their choice may be.
Dr. Hariton was born and raised in Caracas, Venezuela, and moved to the United States over 20 years ago. When not practicing medicine, he enjoys spending time with his wife, two daughters and their dog. He also likes sightseeing in the beautiful Bay Area. He loves to travel, having visited over 70 countries and experiencing local cuisines and culture each city has to offer. He has a passion for watching and playing soccer (futbol) and is a dedicated fan of Real Madrid.
I am proud about bringing a culturally sensitive and personalized approach to serving my patients. I try to understand who they are and what their goals are so that together, we can make the best treatment plan for them
An introduction to Dr. Eduardo Hariton
An introduction to Dr. Eduardo Hariton (Español)
Dr. Hariton presents at the 2022 Embie Virtual Summit – Egg Freezing: If, when, how and how many eggs does it take
- Bachelor of Science in biological sciences with a minor in nutrition: University of Florida
- Doctor of Medicine: Harvard Medical School
- Master of Business Administration: Harvard Business School
- Resident in obstetrics and gynecology: Brigham and Women’s Hospital and Massachusetts General Hospital
- Fellowship in reproductive endocrinology & infertility: University of California San Francisco
- Pacific Coast Reproductive Society Student Scholarship
- Massachusetts General Hospital Research Day, Best Ob/Gyn Poster
- Hispanic Health Professional Student Scholarship
- Paul and Daisy Soros Scholarship for New Americans
- Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society
- Golden Key Honor Society
- Morris JR, Jaswa E, Kaing A, Hariton E, Andrusier M, Aliaga K, Davis M, Cedars MI, Huddleston HG. Early pregnancy anxiety during the COVID-19 pandemic: preliminary findings from the UCSF ASPIRE study. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2022 Mar 31;22(1):272.
- Huddleston HG, Jaswa EG, Lindquist KJ, Kaing A, Morris JR, Hariton E, Corley J, Hoskin E, Gaw SL, Cedars MI. COVID-19 vaccination patterns and attitudes among American pregnant individuals. Am J Obstet Gynecol MFM. 2021 Oct 11;4(1):100507.
- Sacha CR, Mortimer R, Hariton E, James K, Hosseini A, Gray M, Xuan C, Hammer K, Lange A, Mahalingaiah S, Wang J, Petrozza JC. Assessing efficacy of IV acetaminophen for perioperative pain control for oocyte retrieval: a randomized, double blind, placebo-controlled trial. Fertil Steril. 2022 Jan;117(1):133-141.
- Romanski PA, Hariton E. Current Obstetrics and Gynecology Reports. In press.
- Hariton E, Morris JR, Portugal A, Anderson-Bialis J, Anderson-Bialis D, Cedars MI. Prevalence and characteristics of patients declined from pursuing in vitro fertilization with autologous oocytes. J Assist Reprod Genet. 2021 Oct;38(10):2679-2685.
- Hariton E. Medication management in the 21st century: There should be an app for that! Fertil Steril. 2021 Sep;116(3):674-675.
- Hariton E, Raker CA, Frishman GN, Feinberg EC. Perceptions and lessons from web-based interviews for the reproductive endocrinology and infertility fellowship application cycle. Fertil Steril. 2021 Sep;116(3):872-881.
- Wald K, Hariton E, Morris JR, Chi EA, Jaswa EG, Cedars MI, McCulloch CE, Rosen M. Changing stimulation protocol on repeat conventional ovarian stimulation cycles does not lead to improved laboratory outcomes. Fertil Steril. 2021 Sep;116(3):757-765. doi: 10.1016/j.fertnstert.2021.04.030. Epub 2021 May 24
- Hariton E, Chi EA, Chi G, Morris JR, Braatz J, Rajpurkar P, Rosen M. A Machine Learning Algorithm can Optimize the Day of Trigger to Improve In Vitro Fertilization Outcomes. Fertil Steril. 2021 Jul 10:S0015-0282(21)00512-4.
- Hariton E, Shirazi TN, Douglas NC, Hershlag A, Briggs SF. Anti-Müllerian hormone levels among contraceptive users: evidence from a cross-sectional cohort of 27,125 individuals. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2021 Jun 12:S0002-9378(21)00685-2
- Evans BM, Alexander C, Barnard E, Ezzati MM, Hill MJ, Hoyos LR, Hariton E, Mikhael S, Penzias A. Consider This: COVID-19. Fertility and Sterility Dialog. 2021
- Insogna I, Lanes A, Hariton E, Blake-Lamb T, Boyle J, Schilling S, Hornstein MD. Self-reported barriers to accessing infertility care: patient perspectives from urban gynecology clinics. Journal of Assisted Reproduction and Genetics. J Assist Reprod Genet. 2020 Dec;37(12):3007-3014.
- Bormann CL, Kanakasabapathy MK, Thirumalaraju P, Gupta R, Pooniwala R, Kandula H, Hariton E, Souter I, Dimitriadis I, Shafiee H. Performance of a deep learning based neural network in the selection of human blastocysts for implantation. Elife. 2020 Sep 15;9:e55301. doi: 10.7554/eLife.55301
- Hariton E. Fertility and Sterility Dialog [Internet]. Fellowship interviews in the COVID-19 era: an opportunity for lasting change. 2020 July
- Hariton E, Tracy EE. Telemedicine Companies Providing Prescription-Only Medications: Pros, Cons, and Proposed Guidelines. Obstet Gynecol, 2019 Nov;134(5):941-945.
- Hariton E, Dolisca S, Bortoletto P. The Residency Interview Season: Time for Commonsense Reform. Obstet Gynecol. 2019 Apr;133(4):824.
- Harris AL, Vanegas JC, Hariton E, Bortoletto P, Palmor M, Humphries LA, Tanrikut C, Chavarro JE, Styer AK. Semen parameters on the day of oocyte retrieval predict low fertilization during conventional insemination IVF cycles. J Assist Reprod Genet. 2019 Feb;36(2):291-298
- Hariton E, Freret TS, Nitecki R, Hinchcliff EM, Stagg AR. Program Director Perceptions of Subspecialty Tracking in Obstetrics and Gynecology Residency. Journal of Graduate Medical Education: December 2018, Vol. 10, No. 6, pp. 665-670.
- Hariton E, Locascio J. Randomized Controlled Trials: the gold standard for effectiveness research. British Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology. 2018 Dec;125(13):1716.
- Hariton, E, Bortoletto, P, Barnes, KL, Kaimal, AJ, Stagg, AR. Resident and Program Director's Perceptions of Milestone-Based Feedback in Obstetrics and Gynecology. Journal of Medical Education and Curricular Development. 2018 May 20;5:2382120518774794.
- Hariton, E, Matthews, B, Burns, A, Akileswaran, C, Berkowitz, LR. Pregnancy and Parental Leave among Obstetrics and Gynecology Residents: Results of a Nationwide Survey of Program Directors. American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology. 2018 Aug;219(2):199.e1-199.e8.
- Bortoletto P, Hariton E, Gargiulo AR. Evolution of Myomectomy: From Laparotomy to Minimally Invasive Surgery. British Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology. 2018, Mar; 125(5): 586.
- Hariton E, Bortoletto P, Goldman RH, Farland LV, Ginsburg ES, Gargiulo AR. A Survey of Public Opinion in the United States Regarding Uterine Transplantation. Journal of Minimally Invasive Surgery. 2018 Mar 7. pii: S1553-4650(18)30153-5.
- Bortoletto P, Hariton E, Goldman RH, Farland LV, Gargiulo AR. Uterine Transplantation: A Survey of Perceptions and Attitudes of American Reproductive Endocrinologists and Gynecologic Surgeons. Journal of Minimally Invasive Surgery. 2018 Mar 1. pii: S1553-4650(18)30143-2.
- Hariton E, Pieh-Holder K, Bortoletto P, Lindsey J, Walsh B, Anchan R, DeVente J. Abdominopelvic Dissemination of Benign Uterine Tissue Following Surgical Power Morcellation. Clin Obstet Gynecol Reprod Med. 2017, Dec; 3(6): 1-4.
- Hariton E, Kim K, Mumford SL, Palmor M, Bortoletto P, Cardozo ER, Karmon AE, Sabatini ME, Styer AK. Total number of oocytes and zygotes are predictive of live birth pregnancy in fresh donor oocyte in vitro fertilization cycles. Fertil Steril. 2017, Aug; 108(2): 262-268.
- Hariton E, Bortoletto P, Walsh BW, Devente JE, Anchan RM. Disseminated Endometriosis and Leiomyomatosis Following Power Morcellation. J Reproductive Endocrinol Infert. 2017, Aug; 2(2): 24
- Bortoletto P, Hariton E, Salas S, Cohen SL. Update on Fibroid Morcellation. Curr Obstet Gynecol Rep. 2017, 6(1): 62-66.
- Hariton E, Bortoletto P, Ayogu N. Utilizing Video-Conference Interviews in the Residency Application Process. Academic Medicine. 2017, Jun; 92(6): 728-729.
- Hariton E, Bortoletto P, Cardozo E, Hochberg E, Sabatini M. The Role of Oncofertility Clinics in Facilitating Access to Reproductive Specialists. Journal of Patient Experience. 2016, Dec; 3(4): 131-136.
- Cohen SL, Hariton E, Afshar Y, Siedhoff MT. Updates in uterine fibroid tissue extraction. Curr Opin Obstet Gynecol. 2016, Aug; 28(4): 277-82.
- Hariton E, Bortoletto P, Ayogu N. Residency Interviews in the 21st Century. J Grad Med Educ. 2016, Jul; 8(3): 322-4.
- Choussein S, Hariton E, Bortoletto P, Gargiulo AR. Current trends and controversies in reproductive surgery. Minerva Ginecol. Mar; 66(6): 700-12.
- Rauh-Hain J, Hariton E, Clemmer J, Clark R, Hall T, Boruta D, Schorge J, Del Carmen M. Incidence and Impact of Venous Thromboembolism on Mortality of Elderly Women with Endometrial Cancer. Obstetrics and Gynecology. Obstet Gynecol. 2015, Jun; 125(6): 1362-70.
- Hariton E, Lester M, and Richards JB. An Atypical Cause of Chest Pain: An Octopus Trap. MedEdPORTAL Publications. Epub Mar 14, 2014.
- Tucker CM, Lopez MT, Campbell K, Marsiske M, Daly K, Nghiem K, Rahim-Williams B, Jones J, Hariton E, and Patel A. The effects of a culturally sensitive, empowerment-focused, community-based health promotion program on health outcomes of adults with type 2 diabetes. J Health Care Poor Underserved. 2014, Feb; 25(1): 292-307.
- Cohen J, Hariton E, Kothari D, Pihan GA, Robson SC. Hepatosplenic alpha/beta T-cell lymphoma masquerading as cirrhosis. J Gastrointest Oncol. 2013, Jun; 4(2): 131-6.
- Cohen JM, Fagin AP, Hariton E, Niska JR, Pierce MW, Kuriyama A, Whelan JS, Jackson JL, Dimitrakoff JD. Therapeutic Intervention for Chronic Prostatitis/Chronic Pelvic Pain Syndrome (CP/CPPS): A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. PLoS One. PLoS One. 2012, Aug; 7(8).
- Fluent in English and Spanish
- Basic spoken French and Hebrew
Dr. Hariton episodes on the Fertile Edge Podcast
In our ongoing podcast, the doctors at Reproductive Science Center of the San Francisco Bay Area discuss all things related to fertility and infertility treatment. Listen to recent episodes with Dr. Eduardo Hariton: